Current name of the building: Adelaide High School
address: Corner West Terrace & Glover Avenue
location: Adelaide SA
date of commission: 1940
date of completion:1951
Architects: EB Fitzgerald & John Brogan
Submitted by Scott Robertson, Louise Cox, et. al. in 2014
The design of the Adelaide High School was the result of national architectural competition and the building is composed of a series of curves which respond to the curved driveway and contrast with the curved wall of the entry, giving a sweeping horizontality to the building. Each section of the building is composed of an upper large volume, with strip glazing, which is framed and set forward of the brick- work. The upper volume, the first floor, cantilevers over the vertical glazing of the ground floor. The diminishing perspective of the curve is accentuated by the vertical brick piers separating the ground floor glazing and garden bed which follow the curve of the building. The line of the parapet is emphasised, creating a shadow line to each separate volume.