design: Bill Lucas, Ruth Lucas
location: Sydney – Australia
other/former name: Lucas House
date of completion: 1957
listing/protection: National Trust of Australia NSW Register Proposed for listing on the State Heritage Register
current use: House
address: 80 The Bulwark Castlecrag 2068
gps 33º 48′ 6.12” S/151º 13′ 10.56” E
Submitted by: Noni Boyd in 2003, docomomo Australia
The Glass House, 80 the Bulwark, Castlecrag, designed by Bill and Ruth Lucas in 1957 is an excellent seminal example of the “shelter-in-nature” minimalist compositions constructed in Northern Sydney post World War II, by the architects of the “Sydney School” largely for their own use.
Sydney Living Museum “Two Point Perspective” Podcast on the Glass House
a tour of Bill Lucas’ renowned 1950s Glass House in Castlecrag with its then resident, Antony Gill.