Sydney United Dental Hospital
Stephenson & Turner
date of commission:
date of completion:
2-30 Chalmers Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010
Docomomo Australia Register, NSW Heritage Register,
An excellent example of streamlined Inter-War architecture designed by the leading architects, Stephenson, Meldrum & Turner (builder: HG Whittle). Located on an acute corner site, it is a prominent building with landmark qualities in the centre of Sydney. Originally designed as a seven-storey buiding in 1936. In 1948, the same architects designed 2 additional floors. Builders FT Eastman & Sons demolished the 1912 building and constructed 2 extra sections. In 1976 an additional 4 levels were added.
The streamlined, international style building has been designed to take advantage of its wedge-like corner site with a glazed corner stair tower and horizontal bands of windows with rendered spandrels along each street elevation.
Construction: Concrete, rendered walls, glazed curtain walls.
Recommended Conservation Strategy as per Preliminary Heritage and Conservation Register. (Extract from NSW Register / see full record)
Exercise care to protect cultural significance. Requires detailed conservation planning to assess and manage future re-use proposals.