Mortars: materials, mixes and methods
A guide to repointing mortar joints in older buildings
‘Introducing Mortars: materials, mixes and methods’
Heritage Council of Victoria seminar by David Young
23 November, 3-5pm
The Technical Guide Mortars: materials, mixes and methods by David Young OAM is an essential resource for anyone wishing to repair older stone or brick buildings in Australia.
The Heritage Council of Victoria is pleased to offer a two-hour in-person seminar, delivered by David Young, to all those involved in the conservation and repair of historic buildings, including specifiers and doers!
The Seminar will introduce the key elements of the technical guide:
- what we’ve learnt in recent decades about lime mortars and how they were made
- why we should continue to specify and use lime mortars
- understanding what makes a good sand
- the importance of producing compatible mortar mixes, and
- the key aspects of repointing mortar joints in older stone and brick buildings.
There will be ample opportunities for questions. Attendees on the day will receive a hard copy of the Technical Guide.
Date: Wednesday, 23 November 2022
Time: 3:00 to 5:00 pm
Location: Hughes Room, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 250–290 Spring Street, East Melbourne
If you wish to attend please email email@example.com.
Download the guide: https://heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/research-projects/technicalguide_mortars/
Places are strictly limited. The seminar will not be recorded.