King George V Memorial Hospital for Mothers and Babies

Site Overview

site name
King George V Memorial Hospital for Mothers and Babies (part of Royal Prince Alfred Hospital)
Former Name:
King George V Memorial Hospital for Mothers and Babies
architects:
Stephenson, Meldrum & Turner
date of commission:
1939
date of completion:
1941
address:
Missendon Road, Camperdown, Sydney NSW
classification/typology:
Health
current use:
Maternity Hospital
protection status:
Protected in the Local Environmental Plan of the City of Sydney (2000)
Editor fiche:
Cameron Logan, 2012

Download FICHE:
– Aus_Health_KGV_Hosp 2012
(Pdf)

Description

King George V Hospital was the second modern building at RPAH. An important modern movement building in Sydney not only due to its prominent location but also in its dedication solely for mothers and babies. The architects were awarded the ’41 Sulman Award for their design. The exterior of King George V also features distinctive can- tilevered horizontal balconies.

The two side wings form a front court with a porte cochere, with smaller courtyards to the north and south. Each courtyard contains a sculpture. Due to the strong Australian sun, the building is oriented north-south, with the main court- yard to the west. Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, the teaching hospital associated with the University of Sydney, was the first hospital in Sydney to build a ‘modern’ hospital block based on European prototypes including Aalto’s Paimio Sanitarium.