DOCOMOMO AUSTRALIA/ICOMOS/NSW CHAPTER –
SYDNEY TALK SERIES 2014 – NO. 7
5.30PM FOR 6.00 PM START ON WEDNESDAY 17TH SEPTEMBER 2014
8/12 Heritage #Aboriginal: Aboriginal People/Aboriginal Places
Aboriginal Heritage management in NSW is changing. Communities are becoming more involved. Innovative approaches are encouraging better connections between people and places. New statues, guidelines, policies and codes of conduct mean how we understand, assess and interpret Aboriginal heritage is dynamic.
This will be a fast-paced informative evening where speakers from the Aboriginal heritage industry and Aboriginal community will share their experiences through a series of pictorial vignettes – 8 minutes/12 slides – which highlight the diversity of engagement with Aboriginal Heritage.
Speakers include members of the Aboriginal community, archaeologists and professional colleagues:
- – Michael Bennet, Native Title Services Corp on Aboriginal Place Trackers
- – Glenda Chalker, Tharawal elder and member of NSW Parks Service Advisory Council on the Aboriginal heritage reform process
- – Cheryl Lappin, Senior Strategic Planner, Shellharbour City on the Shellharbour Tool Kit
- – Gordon Morton, Darug Aboriginal Culutral Heritage Assessments on the Colobee Nurrangingy Land Grant
- – Dr. Tim Owen, Associate, GML on preserving Aboriginal landscape values at East Leppington
- – Dominic Steele, Principal, Dominic Steele Consulting Archaeology on ‘Parra-matters’
- Members of the public welcome.
Time & Date: Wednesday 17 September 2014, 5.30pm for 6.00pm start
Cost: ICOMOS Members $10, non-members $15 payable at the door. Wine and nibblesprovided
Venue: GML Heritage, 78 George Street, Redfern
RSVP: Jane Verson email@example.com or 02 9319 4811. RSVP is essential as places are limited