Goldstein College UNSW
Edward Herbert (Ted) Farmer (NSW Government Architect),
Peter Hall (designer),
Schmaeling & Partners (documenting architect)
date of commission:
date of completion:
Barker Street, Kensington, NSW
Partially demolished, 2012
Scott Robertson, Louise Cox, et. al.
Goldstein College, University of New South Wales is one of the three original Kensington Colleges along with Phillip Baxter and Basser College, located in Australia. In 2012 and 2013, Goldstein residents resided in Baxter College during the University of New South Wales (UNSW) major student accommodation redevelopment project.
Goldstein College is the smallest of the three Kensington Colleges at the University of New South Wales. The newly completed Goldstein College building houses 150 residents. The residents of the college are of local, rural and international students.
The original Goldstein College was opened on 30 June 1964, along with the Goldstein Dining Hall which is shared by all residents of The Kensington Colleges. The college was designed by Government Architect, E.H. Farmer, and a member of his staff, Peter Hall, who later succeeded Jørn Utzon as supervising architect of the Sydney Opera House. The Goldstein Dining Hall won the Sulman Award for architecture in 1966.
Goldstein College was named after Phillip Godfrey Goldstein (1895-1963), who arrived in Australia in 1911 from England. In 1959 he donated £40,000 (Australian) towards the construction of the Dining Hall and College. The College initially housed women and postgraduate students, being the first college accommodation for women on the UNSW campus. (source: wikipedia)