Sydney United Dental Hospital
United Dental Hospital, 1939, ph: Baden-H.-Mullaney
Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales

Site Overview

site name:
Sydney United Dental Hospital
architect(s):
Stephenson & Turner
date of commission:
1936
date of completion:
1956
address:
2-30 Chalmers Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010
classification/typology:
Health (HLT)
current condition
Mantained
protection status:
Docomomo Australia Register, NSW Heritage Register,

Description

An excellent example of streamlined Inter-War architecture designed by the leading architects, Stephenson, Meldrum & Turner (builder: HG Whittle). Located on an acute corner site, it is a prominent building with landmark qualities in the centre of Sydney. Originally designed as a seven-storey buiding in 1936. In 1948, the same architects designed 2 additional floors. Builders FT Eastman & Sons demolished the 1912 building and constructed 2 extra sections. In 1976 an additional 4 levels were added.

The streamlined, international style building has been designed to take advantage of its wedge-like corner site with a glazed corner stair tower and horizontal bands of windows with rendered spandrels along each street elevation.
Construction: Concrete, rendered walls, glazed curtain walls.
Recommended Conservation Strategy as per Preliminary Heritage and Conservation Register. (Extract from NSW Register / see full record)
Modification: 1948
Exercise care to protect cultural significance. Requires detailed conservation planning to assess and manage future re-use proposals.

United Dental Hospital building, adjoining the 1912 building, during construction in 1939, photo G3_224_0678_2, source: University of Sydney Archives.
The United Dental Hospital in Chalmers Street, Surry Hills in 1947.
The building was enlarged into its present form a couple of years later
(NAA, J Brindle photograph, image number A1200, L9158).
The Dental Hospital in Chalmers Street in the late 1950s following completion of the extensions, looking east, (photo G3_224_0678_1, University of Sydney Archives.)
In the 1970s, the former MGM Building adjoining the Dental Hospital, which had opened in 1933, was purchased by the Health Commission of NSW with the financial support of the Australian Universities Commission, and converted into facilities for the Faculty.
Sydney Dental Hospital Building, photo: Noel Fischer, 2016
Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales and Courtesy Noel Fisher
error: Content is Protected