Rose Seidler House Group
Date of commission: 1948
Date of completion: 1956
Architects: Harry and Penelope Seidler
Address:69-71 Clissold Road, Sydney NSW
Listing: Proposed for listing on the State Heritage Register by the RAIA
Fiche Submitted by Noni Boyd, Anne Higham in 2003
The Rose Seidler House was the first Australian domestic commission of Vienna-born, USA-trained architect Harry Seidler. By 1956, he had designed and built three houses for Seidler family members on a 16 acre (6.5h) bushland estate on Sydney’s northern fringe, linking the sloping site with a curving driveway among tall eucalyptus. Rising from natural bush rock foundations, the Rose Seidler House is a flat-roofed, floating cube built of reinforced concrete and timber, featuring extensive use of glass. All twelve rooms have wide views of surrounding bushland with direct or close contact to related outdoor areas. Moveable dividers maximise the flexibility of internal living spaces.
The Rose Seidler House was awarded the Sulman Award in 1951.
Read the introduction to the first Australian selection for Docomomo (2000)