Melbourne 2016 Open House / 30-31 July

A selection of buildings from the Melbourne Open House Web Site (http://www.openhousemelbourne.org/buildings)

M03

Sun Theatre

Architect: Cowper, Murphy and Appleford

Built in 1938, The Sun took only six months to construct by the firm, Hansen and Yuncken Pty Ltd, for $25,000.

Open: Saturday 9am-10am, Sunday 9am-10am – Booking required for this building

185_orica-house

Orica House

Architect: Bates, Smart & McCutcheon

Open: Sunday 10am-4pm

456_n10

University of Melbourne, Newman College

Architect: Walter Burley Griffin

Open: Sunday 10am-4pm – Booking required for this building

yarralibs, Cairo Flats

Cairo Flats

Architect: Best Overend & Architecture Architecture

Open: Saturday 1pm-4pm, Sunday 1pm-4pm – Booking required for this building

What’s Open: The grounds, rooftop and Architecture Architecture’s recent renovation

 

S09

National Gallery of Victoria

Architect: Roy Grounds

Open: Saturday 10am-4pm, Sunday 10am-4pm

C15

Folk Architecs, Nicholas Building

Architect: Harry Norris

http://www.openhousemelbourne.org/buildings/folk-architecs-nicholas-building

Open: Saturday 10am-1pm

 

242_jsubstation-elenikaponis01

Substation ‘J’

City of Melbourne | C28

Substation J is one of a number of electricity zone substations located in the Melbourne CBD. It was originally built to distribute electricity from the adjacent Spencer Street Power Station. Although the power station was demolished in 2007, Substation J continues to provide power to adjacent streets through four 22kV/6.6kV transformers. The power station has been replaced by Upper West Side residential apartments, however there are reminders of the former use of the site such as the control room, which was decommissioned in 1982 but remains largely intact, and the heritage-protected cast iron water tank, which was installed in 1927. This tank was part of a hydraulic power system that pumped pressurised water from the Yarra River through pipes to operate the CBD’s lifts and wool presses. The former Spencer Street Power Station was believed to be linked to the Yarra River and other parts of the city by underground canals. One tunnel, built in 1915, ran from the Power Station all the way underneath Spencer Street down to the site now occupied by the Melbourne Aquarium.

Need to Know

  • Open: Saturday 10am-4pm, Sunday 10am-4pm

 

More Buildings are avaiable     in the Melbourne Open House Web Site

http://www.openhousemelbourne.org/buildings